Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ching Ming

“Ching Ming" or “Remembrance of Ancestors Day” is an important day in the Chinese calendar. On this weekend prior to the actual Ching Ming day of April 4, you may view hundreds of families visiting the cemetery to sweep/clean their ancestors’ graves and repaint the inscriptions on the headstones to show their respect. However, the activities may varies according to different countries, different dialects and different religion.

As we're Christian, we don't offer food to the dead, nor we worship them. Rather, the visit to the graveyard of the loved one is merely as an act of remembrance. I followed my wife and her family to their ancestors' graveyard yesterday morning. My grandma's tomb is in Sarawak and I went there during last Chinese New Year.

We visited grandma's, grandpa's and also father-in-law's. We did some weeding and washed the tomb. Fresh flowers were offered, and ended with a prayer.


The value of respect and remembrance of our ancestors is important and needed to be inculcated to our younger generation. They ought to be taught from very young age, like the case of our 2-year-old nephew.

9 comments:

Amanda Tiew said...

OMG OMG I SEE MY MOM. AND MING MING.

...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

xD

Josh said...

[amenda] Join us next year!

Lifesaver said...

Dr.Josh, In my opinion, the prayers for a dead person should be do often instead of waiting for the "Cheng Ming", do u agree? When a person is gone, the feeling of love and care will be kept together in their soul as memory. I'm glad if your young nephew is being taught. Myself have only limited knowledge about chinese culture and religion :-(

Kembara Musafir said...

Josh, great entry...! forgot about Ching Ming, have not seen the commemoration for quite awhile... just being curious... what is the exact date in Chi calendar? which day of which month?

I am still intrigue... how come Chi calendar does not move 11 days every year compared to the Gregorian calendar? "auntie Zoe" tried to explain to me, but am still blur about it... if required, will send you my email address... heheh... sure panjang nyer explanation...

awieworld said...

uik...aku mmg buta pasal bab nie...ish, kalu la leh kongsi citer, smbang2 smbil minum ker...msti jelasc ceritanya kan>,,,

pernah berjiran ngan chi peoples tp tak pernah tau pun...pasal?..diorang dok dalam umah jer tak nak kuar sembang,,,huhu!!

Josh said...

[lifesaver] You got your point there! Are u a Chinese? or Mix?

[King Kong] Aduss... punya lah susah soalan King Kong tu. I've no idea lah, but will find out and explain to u, via email, i think. hehehe. Bagus jugak King Kong tanya, sekurang-kurangnye 'paksa' Josh kenal kalender cina ni.

[awie] aiyo.. nak sembang ngan 'mereke' tu??
Pelik kan jiran yg xnak tegur orang. ish.

Lifesaver said...

Dr.Josh, I'm a pure chinese but with limited knowledge on chinese religion and culture. Most probably my parent are English educated person and those days are follower..u know la when stayed with my typical Grandparent from China. We are asked to follow without asking more questions. Seriously, I have go thru a difficult and strict discipline when staying with my grandparent. I hv never regret and in fact today I still missed them. Now I have to put in effort to search n learn from ppl :-) Anyway, my family is also have some mix races from your home state..hehe

NIKO75 said...

hey josh.. thanks for the input in my blog.. now I know what's the occasion already.. it caught my attention as you can't see it in KL.. anyway.. it looks different from the photos here, but the objective is still the same, eh?

Josh said...

[niko76] Oh yes, it's the same, I went to Cheras. No as 'meriah' as what you'd shown in your entry.