Saturday, August 1, 2009

Interesting Food at KB

My buddy Nik brought me to Pasar Besar Siti Khadijah and some warung makanan for some interesting food (especially cakes and desserts) which can only be found in the east coast.


Not that I have not been to Kota Bharu, in fact I'd been there twice before this, but without a good tour guide, those food are alien to me. Thanks to Nik, and his descriptive explaination, now I know.

First to introduce: Etak. Hm.... I thought they were raw. But then Nik told me that these bivalves were either sun dried, or grilled. My colleagues Puan Susu and Puan Tod-tod who're also from Kelantan, told me that some are boiled and dried. Too bad, I was too full to try any when we encounter these bivalves.

Next, the 'Tahi Itik' or duck manure. Well, the name was given because of the appearance. Nik told me that it's main ingredient is egg white. I tasted one, it's sweet, with subtle egg smell.

The 'Nasi Tumpang', as featured in my previous entry. A unique way to pack a meal.

This is the 'Sukun Bersira' or breadfruit with sugar syrup.

Two kuih made with egg yolks: the 'Jala Emas' on the left, and 'Kuih Buah Tanjung' on the right. Sweet too, with rather strong egg yold smell. I figure they must be nutritious.

The 'Kuah Apom' (kot, betul ke Nik?), very similar to the 'apam balik' but this one softer and fluffier.

The 'Kuih topi'.

We strolled around the food stalls there and saw these big and inviting prawns. I took one. But don't ask me the price, Nik paid for it. ;-D

For those who are not so adventurous or faint hearted, stop reading. Hehehehe..
This one is the satay perut ayam. The chicken intestine were thoroughly cleaned, skewed onto a bamboo stick and BBQed to perfection, then sprinkled with fragrant peanut sauce. YUMMMMYYYYYY!!!!

Erm.... I didn't try these. Saw these after my lunch. :-P

There're interesting. Aren't they?? I should have stay longer. But i'd booked my flight way in advance.

Nak gi KB lagi lah!

16 comments:

Cath J said...

Very nice photo.. the power of new toy huh? ^_^

Josh said...

[CJ] You got it! so clever! hehehehe

eQbalzack said...

sedapnyerrrr.....!!

[danial][ma] said...

hej! Josh...i think we should plan for a visit during fasting month and i am sure the foods much meriah! so let's go to kota bharu! yipppeeee...;-)

Josh said...

[eQ] yes, very the sedapss! jom jom kita gi situ!

[Danial] Sure ah? bulan puasa ah? ok ok, Jom Jom!!!

Puan Tod said...

rindunye nk balik kampunggg...!!

azizi said...

hmm, may happiness be with you. (*walaupun dalam jeles) ..heh..heh..heh
you should try akok. it tastes good. & nasi berlauk as well. nice way to start your morning routines.

Shah said...

Arghhh.. Terliur terliur terliur....

Josh said...

[Puan Tod-tod] Balik la, go go. Pastu tolong belikan erm... nanti bagitau, panjang list.

[Azizi] Ooooo... akok nice ek? try next time.
Psst dah makan nasi berlauk. sedaaaap!
Thanks for the wishes, walaupun dalam keadaan jeles. hehehehe

[Shah] Aiyo doctor, you got better things in KK maaaa. hehehe... Bila nak balik sini?

syukur said...

waaaaa....food heaven ! nama pun pelik pelik...i suka nama SUKUN BERSIRA....ha ha ...exotic nama dia.

CasanovaXXL said...

well friends... come2 over... I'll bring you to those places....
Fasting month was so damn nice time for food festivals!!

CATZ said...

Josh,

i baca entry ni malam2...terliur sudah...wow..rupanya banyak lagi yg i tak explore masa pi KB dulu tuh...
baca entry ni mcm baca laman web www.kelantanfood.com ..hahahah

Josh said...

[Casanova] Wwaa, tuan rumah dah invite! In the planning la nih. I'm sure it's gonna be meriah.

[Catz] hahaha I'm glad my entry had provided u some info. Kalo Josh xde tour guide, sure x tau dan xkenal benda2 nih.

Anak Jawa said...

paling sbb makanan kat situ colourful sgt. tak pyh mkn, tgk pun dah kenyang.... (alasan sgt. hehehe)

Josh said...

[AJ] Tahniah, Cikgu semakin pandai! :-D

Dana said...

Wow... want to go back to KB for holiday again soon, after reading this post that is...