Thursday, October 13, 2011

Strange But True

I must share this experience with you guys. 

Just yesterday, I lost my phone while paying for my breakfast at the restaurant pay-counter. I was very sure I put it on the counter right in front of me, on top of the book I was reading. A few guys were just queuing behind me. Without realizing it, someone took my phone while I was busy getting the change and put them into my wallet. As I go off from the counter, a few steps away, I realized my phone was gone. I turned to the cashier and inquired about my phone. She was blank and had no idea. The few guys behind me was gone. She asked the workers and waiters, none aware of it. I knew my phone was stolen. *panicking....

I was in dismay. I was heavily relied on the phone. Lot's of work info, appointments, schedule and others were saved in there. Loosing the phone was like loosing an assistant. Worst still, the phone was a gift from my wife only four months!!! 

I called the phone from the office, just to check if it's still on. Normally, if the phone is stolen, the thief would turn the phone off. However,  my phone got connected but no one answered. I tried another twenty times or so, it rang but no one picked up. I did the same at noon, and then in the afternoon. Still, no one answered. The thing is, why didn't the person shut the phone off?

This morning, I went to the same restaurant for breakfast. After my meal, I went to the counter to make payment. Then I asked the cashier (not the one I talked to yesterday) about my phone. Surprisingly, she said someone hand in a phone to the cashier yesterday noon, almost 4 hours after i left the restaurant. The person said that the phone was left on the table. By then, there was a change of work-shift and no one knew the morning incident. The cashier locked the phone in the drawer and passed it to the restaurant owner at night. And now, I got my phone back!  I would not have got it if I didn't ask the cashier. 


The thing is, why was my phone hand to the cashier 4 hours after the incident? Probably the thief was guilt driven? or his conscience was kicking? I have no idea, but I really thank God for this. Lesson learnt. Always put phone into pocket. 

The moral of the story, there're still good people out there after all. The indonesian cashier didn't even give it a thought to keep the phone for herself. The person who 'claimed' to saw the phone left on the table pass it to the counter. 

God, there're blessings in disguise, and i thank you :-D

18 comments:

Pakcik Kopi said...

Thank God... maybe coz of your good deeds... and that's why you got your phone back Papa Joshy... Hugs

Josh said...

Kaaan Uncle Nik! I guess God want me to be more careful. Yuh, thank God. Hugs too.

PUTUBAMBU said...

okahlah tu..
good for you..

selamat poket daripada nak beli phone baru...

Josh said...

[Putu] Actually Putu nak cakap selamat poket Putu kan? dah takyah beli iPhone 5 untuk Josh kan? :-P

Fizah said...

the moral of the story,...cikgu, jgn makan fast-food manyak2.. cikgu sudah nampak tembab sikit Ooo... :P

shilawali said...

Ha ... tu lah. Org dah kata, put phone in pocket. Or better still carry a handbag, put in handbag (00ppppsss).
Anyway, mcm misteri plak the incident. Who took it in the 1st place? (I had too much of crime series....)
But still ....

Josh said...

[Fizah] Haiyo Cikgu... tu salahkan angle camera lah. Saya dah slim tau. :-P

[Lala] Auuwwwwww! Janji tau!!! Cikgu mau beli handbag pink bagi kat saya ker?? hahahahahaha
I also don't know who took it. Rasanyer orang yg beratur kat belakang saya lah. Or dia orang memang geng ngan cashier? hmm....

Air said...

Thank God...U got ur phone back..=)

Josh said...

[Air] Thanks. Thank God indeed :-D

:: NbC :: said...

alaaaaaa, just about to buy you a new iPhone, so cancel lah :-P

Josh said...

[Pinky] Erm... say so, and I'll purposefully hilangkan my iPhone. hahahaha

Asyikin said...

I think the person didnt know how to use your phone. LOL !

Abg Bear said...

I know why... sebab phone tu canggih sangat and dia tak reti guna... 4 jam dia cuba tapi takleh bukak.. so dia pulangkan balik... cuba kalau dia terus boleh guna... habis lah menangis guling guling Josh

cute PANDA said...

If not.. get iPhone 4s

Josh said...

[Asyikin] hahahaha.... that's possible.

[Abg Bear] Kaaaaan! but then kalau did tak pandai, bole jer dia jual kat orang. Errm.... kalau dia ambik, Josh beli iPhone 4S jer lah. :-P

[Panda] tu lah, tengah tunggu sponsor nih :-P

Shah said...

Dah activate ke belum "Find my iPhone" feature? It's handy in times like this so you can log online to see the location of the phone & kalau nak boleh hantar message to the phone screen & sound alarm.

Shafinaz said...

I'm not as lucky as you, Sir. :(
Lost my camera in a restaurant about 2 weeks ago. Situation was almost like this. I, still, am sure I left it at the cashier's counter, because the last time I took the camera out was to take pictures of the food, plus I remember putting it there to free my hand to dig for my purse from my handbag.
Nonetheless, went around the mall madly to try my luck...

It was a new camera. I didn't even finish reading the manual book.
:(((

Josh said...

[Shafinaz] Aisey..... sedih dengar citer makcik... I guess the camera is not changgih enough and anyone who picked up the camera know how to use it. For my case, i think they don't know how to use my phone :-D